Advertisement

Responsive Advertisement

Naturi glams up for Kontrol magazine @naturinaughton

 photo nnkon.jpg

 Naturi Naughton of  3LW girl group fame with hits such as “No More (Baby I’ma Do Right) and “Playas Gon’ Play” in the early 2000s., Naturi turned to acting where she’s steadily “earning her stripes” as a one to watch actress.  Hollywood, she nabbed a role as rap legend Lil Kim in the film Notorious. She also starred in Fame, Lottery Ticket and TV series “The Client List”, to name a few. Now she’s captivating audiences as Tasha St. Patrick on the hit STARZ series “POWER”.

And in KONTROL magazine’s Winter Glam Issue, Naturi speaks up about her journey from grace to grass  to steadily climbing back to the top.

Peep the highlights:
On not feeling accepted while in 3LW:
“During 3LW I was told so many things, a lot of them weren’t always positive, but you know I’m a brown skin black woman. At the time there were certain fads. I use to sometimes feel inadequate or feel like I wasn’t enough. The group had a lot to do with that by telling me; my voice was too soulful, [since] I was a darker skin girl I wasn’t as popular. It was a certain image I had to dress and be a certain way in order to be acceptable.”

On who made her feel inadequate:
“I would say management mainly, the group mem… [pauses]. I mean it was so long ago. I just know it was a lot of different angles, but mainly it was the inner circle of our management and production company.”
On being BROKE while in the group and how it molded her into the person she is today:
“When I came out of 3LW I had been rocked to my core. I had never been so shaken up by life. As a teenager I was in the platinum selling girl group who had a number one song on TRL, 106 & Park, life was crazy, but yet I had no money. I was broke. I was starting from the ground up. I didn’t have a deal. I had to go back to school and find myself. It was a blessing actually. It was hard, but it was the best thing that could ever happen to me. It was a great learning experience that had its ups and downs. I’m really grateful for it all. It shaped me to learn more about myself.”
On playing Tasha St. Patrick in “POWER”:
I connect to her vulnerability. Tasha is seemingly very strong she’s presenting this idea of perfection that makes her look insecure. And I have felt that way sometimes. Where people think ‘Oh well you have it all together’, but not know how I truly feel as an actress in this business. Some days being a black woman in Hollywood its not easy. I feel vulnerable, misunderstood, and overlooked sometimes. That kind of vulnerability comes from a real place.”

Post a Comment

0 Comments