Advertisement

Responsive Advertisement

Female Entrepreneurs are changing the world, building our own tables and inviting other women to join us, anyone who doesn’t like it, can get out of our way” - Akunna Nwala-Akano Speaks With Leading Ladies Africa

#jaiyeorie Female Entrepreneurs are changing the world, building our own tables and inviting other women to join us, anyone who doesn’t like it, can get out of our way”  - Akunna Nwala-Akano Speaks With Leading Ladies Africa jaiyeorie
"I always assumed I could have it all, but on this journey, I’ve learned to cut myself some slack and outsource as much as possible. There’s a popular quote by Shonda Rhimes, which says: "Whenever you see me somewhere succeeding in one area of my life, that almost certainly means that I am failing in another area of my life." And I feel is so true of so many women, we strive so hard for perfection, that we forget that perfection isn’t humanly possible...”
Leading Ladies Africa captioned on their Instagram page;
Lawyer, chartered tax professional and Beauty entrepreneur Akunna Nwala-Akano is fiercely intelligent and deeply committed to her vision of revolutionalizing the beauty industry through her Luxury Hair Company @kukushair. Her devotion to ensuring women feel good and look good also led to her co-founding Daryl Teatox, @darylteatox a detox tea, specially designed for women who want get their bodies back. Akunna shares with Leading Ladies Africa very extensively her passion and the many opportunities being a female entrepreneur has afforded her. •


Akunna Nwala-Akano is a Lawyer, a chartered tax professional and a Beauty entrepreneur. She is very spirited about women looking beautiful and she does this through her companies, Kuku’s Luxury Hair Salon and Spa and Daryl Teatox, a detox tea outfit which she co-owns. As a multifaceted woman juggling multiple businesses, Akunna shares with LLA her tips for leading a productive life.
Excerpt below;
Can you briefly describe yourself and your business?
My name is Akunna Nwala-Akano. I am a Lawyer, an entrepreneur, a mother and a wife. I am in the business of making women look beautiful from the inside out and boosting their confidence and self-assuredness. I do this through my companies, Kuku’s Luxury Hair Salon and Spa and Daryl Teatox, a detox tea, which I co-own with my friend, Uju Ania.
What is it like being a female entrepreneur, and why did you choose to be one?
Being a female entrepreneur can be equal parts exhilarating and challenging. Nigeria has the highest number of female entrepreneurs in the world, so it’s really not that much of an anomaly as people tend to see it. In Nigeria especially, there’s a great spirit of camaraderie and collaboration among female entrepreneurs. We’re creating our own Old Girls Club and we’re not bringing a seat to anybody’s table; we’re building our own tables and inviting other women to join us.
This is also a business where mentors and inspirations are important, with so many female entrepreneurs, there is a lot for young women to aspire to. I personally have older women and peer mentors who have served as inspirations to me on my own journey and I’m glad to do the same for younger women.
Women also have a competitive advantage when it comes to Emotional Quotient (EQ) because, on the average we have higher EQ than men, which gives us exceptional leadership ability. This serves me well, as someone with a lot of staff and dependents. My feminine side gives me self-awareness and empathy, as well as the ability to perceive and understand both my own emotions and the emotions of others, which is invaluable in business.
Being a female entrepreneur also has its challenges. In my case, I have a son who is about to turn a year old and parenting, while juggling several businesses as well as other responsibilities on the home front can prove quite tasking. I always assumed I could have it all, but on this journey, I’ve learned to cut myself some slack and outsource as much as possible. There’s a popular quote by Shonda Rhimes, which says: “Whenever you see me somewhere succeeding in one area of my life, that almost certainly means that I am failing in another area of my life.” And I feel it is so true of so many women, we strive so hard for perfection, that we forget that perfection isn’t humanly possible.
After I became a mother, I discovered a very important hack though, multitasking. Multitasking is a parenting skill that comes in very handy as a female entrepreneur. Most women who are mothers have become adept at handling many aspects of their lives simultaneously. This ability to manage competing responsibilities also, is important for entrepreneurs. We’re born to be leaders and I’m so happy to be able to show my son that women can be successful and do anything they want to.
I chose to be an entrepreneur because I’ve always had a deep need to make my own money. Financial independence is a goal many women should strive for. It is the only way we’re going to break what’s left of the glass ceiling. I’m also aware that most women cannot even afford to lift themselves out of penury, which is why it is so important to be your sister’s keeper. I am invested in collaborating with other female entrepreneurs and helping the less-advantaged in society, one step at a time.
Secondly, I adore the beauty business. I love hair, I love looking beautiful, and I love the entire value chain that is invested in maintaining feminine beauty- makeup, hair, getting massages, nails etc. Taking care and investing in myself makes me happy and is also my way of unwinding.
Being an entrepreneur is all encompassing. I’m able to fulfil my dreams and not skimp on my femininity. Basically, it has given me the freedom to be able to live my life exactly as I want and also provide value to society. I am invested in giving back to disadvantaged people and communities. I’m also responsible for almost 40 members of staff every month. Those are duties I do not take lightly, and I am proud of what I have built that has been able to give me this freedom. I have come very far and I’m not even where I want to be yet.
What new innovation have you introduced to your business?
We have introduced a patent form of colouring which has revolutionized the hair dyeing business in Nigeria. Most hair dyes involve harsh chemical components like ammonia, peroxide, or paraphenylenediamine, that can make your hair weak and brittle, changing the structure of your strands in the process and even cause breakage. However, our system coats strands rather than penetrating them, can last up to 30 washes and is also anti-static and antibacterial. This is a revolution in the beauty world and has made us the number one destination in Nigeria for colouring.
Secondly, as a lover of beautiful spaces, it was important to me that the space I work in be aesthetically pleasing as well. Most salon spaces are functional rather than beautiful. But we’re beginning to understand that a trip to the salon is no longer about “wash and set”. It is now an experience. It is now about accessing a space that provides as much aesthetic pleasure as if you walked into a luxury hotel. Every aspect should permeate the senses and I feel I have created such a place with Kuku’s Hair Luxury Salon
•📎 ... CRITIC ALSO 🖋️ 📜 🗺️ 😂 ... spill TEA ☕ Easy on Shade 💣 🖋️ 📜 COMMENT BELOW

Post a Comment

0 Comments