Advertisement

Responsive Advertisement

#IssaRae’s double cover for the new issue of @elle’s Women In Hollywood issue is fabulous


Issa Rae slays in looks from Christopher John Rogers, Mônot, Moschino, Etro and Polo Ralph Lauren. And she gets real about why Hollywood (and society as a whole TBH) hasn’t changed much post- #MeToo: 
 
Issa recounts her path to success, entering her 'Mogul Era,' the improvements she'd want to see in Hollywood, and the daily habits that keep her on track to reach her goals for the cover story.
She appears on the cover and in the magazine wearing vibrant colors and motifs that reflect her bubbly personality, styled by Alex White and shot by Cass Bird.


Issa looks stunning in a Moschino crochet bra top and pants set in the accompanying photos.
In keeping with the bright theme, Issa wears a baby pink Mônot bandeau top and skirt, which she pairs with matching Christian Louboutin stiletto heels.
She changes things up with a print-on-print suit and matching Moschino boots.
 Her final ensemble is equally vibrant, with a multicolored top coupled with a yellow flower pattern little skirt from Etro.


Joanna Simkin, Issa's go-to makeup artist, uses Dior Beauty to create a soft glam look for the Insecure star, with hairstylist Felicia Leatherwood and manicurist Eri Ishizu rounding out the look. 

 
Read excerpts from the interview below:

On being a role model

I don’t feel any responsibility. I’m like, ‘If you look up to me, proceed with caution. That’s on you. I’m sorry, while also flattered. But good luck to you if you do.’ I’m very transparent about my mistakes. I’m very transparent about my journey. But I don’t have to watch myself or what I do. If I had a legion of 12-year-old girl fans, I would be more cautious, but I don’t think that’s the case.

On her only-in-Hollywood moment

I was at the Golden Globes sitting at a table with the cast of Big Little Lies. Laura Dern was having a conversation with the president of HBO and was casually, unbeknownst to me, pitching him her next idea. It was him being like, ‘Okay, I love the idea. Who’s gonna write it?’ then her pointing to me, and then us selling a show together. That, to me, will always be an only-in-Hollywood moment. Now we just have to make the show.

Read the full story here.


 
 
 On what has changed for women in Hollywood post-#MeToo: “Sadly, not much. It feels like we’re regressing, depressingly so. There are just too many enablers for there to be real change. People have to be held accountable. There have to be legitimate consequences. Hollywood is very bad about consequences. It’s literally the worst industry when it comes to punishing people for misdeeds and actions, because money will always reign supreme. That’s something that, even by working in this industry, we’re enabling. So it’s hard. What I have realized is that I can control my own environment and who I work with. I can hold people accountable within my world and my bubble. I don’t have to work for everybody. All money isn’t good money. All people aren’t good people.” “It starts with a backbone. While I don’t support people jumping to immediate conclusions and I think it’s entirely fair for investigations to happen, I think it’s extremely important to, like the mantra says, ‘Listen to women.’ I’m gonna be real, the stuff that’s happening with Ezra Miller is, to me, a microcosm of Hollywood. There’s this person who’s a repeat offender, who’s been behaving atrociously, and as opposed to shutting them down and shutting the production down, there’s an effort to save the movie and them. That is a clear example of the lengths that Hollywood will go to to save itself and to protect offenders. So, don’t do that, and women may be able to thrive. They won’t have to live in fear of keeping silent because it’ll ruin their careers. It’s just a constant pattern of abuse that’ll only persist if Hollywood continues to insist on being this way.”
 
 

Credits

Photographer: @cassblackbird
Writer: @juliana_uki
Fashion Director: @alexwhiteedits
Hair: @lovingyourhair
Makeup: @joannasimkin
Manicure: @erierinailz

✍️✍️✍️ ✍️“feel free to disagree in the comments 👀 ☝️👆 & let JAIYEORIE know what U think!” 📎 COMMENTS 👈👉✍️🤳 DROP YOUR OPINIONS ✍️✍️✍️

Post a Comment

0 Comments