Advertisement

Responsive Advertisement

'I Am A Girl On Fire' - Sahara TV Host, Toyosi Phillips @ToyosiPhillips

Could you please tell us about your background and journey into the media world?
I was born in Lagos, Nigeria and schooled and lived there for the first 21 years of my life. It was 21 years of winning dance competitions at parties and class awards shows; 21 years of singing, acting and getting into trouble with teachers; and 21 years of making mistakes, learning and trying to understand/tame myself.
I got my first degree in Economics at Bowen University and second in Economic Development and Policy Analysis at University of Nottingham, UK. I got a job a little while later and then realized I was doing the wrong thing, so I quit my job and moved to New York city where I obtained a Diploma in Broadcast Journalism at the New York Film Academy. That’s how the new chapter of my life started.
If you were not a media personality, what would you have been?
A singer. I’d probably have gone through the same motions and then quit my  job for singing.
Where would you rather be? New York or Nigeria? And why?
I’d rather be in New York, which is where I am now. There's still so much to learn here!!

What are the challenges you face as a Nigerian media personality living in the United States? And what are the advantages?
Challenges of being a Nigerian personality living in the United States…  I really can’t think of any right now. I’m still working on my craft, trying to own my space and be secure in my skills so I don’t see anything as a challenge, I see everything as a learning processes.
 Advantages of being here: I’d say being a Nigerian is actually an advantage. I get to be a part of the potpourri of people and I love it. It gives me a sense of satisfaction.

source:mercyflawless

Post a Comment

0 Comments