Advertisement

Responsive Advertisement

Dave Chappelle Covers GQ’s 2014 Men Of The Year Issue


After leaving the limelight during the height of his career, funnyman Dave Chappelle is slowly returning to the spotlight. And this go round, Dave is making it a priority to do things his way.
The comedic genius was riding the waves of success with his hit Comedy Central series, "Chappelle's Show" in 2005. But, Dave abruptly left the limelight and went into (what appeared to be) seclusion and damn near vanished from the Hollywood scene.
Now, the stand-up comic is making a comeback. But don’t call it a comeback because Dave surely isn’t. This summer, Dave performed ten sold-out shows at Radio City in NYC…and get this, each show sold-out in a matter of hours. Clearly proving his fans are still riding with him and just can’t get enough of funny stories from the stage. He told GQ,

“I mean, I've been out here doing comedy the whole time. But if certain people don't see you, it's not that you don't exist, it's just that they haven't seen you. People are always like, ‘I heard you moved to Africa.’ And in reality I was only there for about two weeks.”
These days, Dave seems to be enjoying being back in his natural element. He dished,
I think that's probably my natural disposition. Obviously, in some situations or places, I'll be way more guarded. But I feel good this week. I had a nice week at home. I've been on the road nine out of the last twelve months this year, which was the most I've done in years, so I'm more accustomed to being around people. You know, for a while, I was kind of sequestered. Well, sequestered is not the right word. It was more like Superman's self-imposed exile.

Like most us, Dave has a bucket list, but his list is geared towards what he would like to accomplish with his career. He talked about his full-circle moment performing at Radio City in which he said,
“I have a show-business bucket list. There’s just certain things that every entertainer always dreamed of doing. When I was 19, I used to walk up Sixth Avenue and look at the marquee of Radio City. I’d see the lines outside. I’d be like ‘Man, I just want to…Radio City!’…It just so happened the venue was open during the same time frame I was willing to play.”
So what does Dave dream of accomplishing now?
“For one year, I want to do this thing where I guest-star on as many television shows as I possibly can,” he explains. “I’d be a zombie on The Walking Dead. A corpse on CSI. I’d be the first black guy to f*ck Olivia Pope on Scandal…”

Post a Comment

0 Comments

Blogarama - Blog Directory