How I delayed my debut album because of Tems – Tyla

Grammy-winning South African singer, Tyla narrated how she delayed submitting her debut album to her record label because of Nigerian songstress, Temilade Openiyi better known as Tems.

Tyla said that she was on the verge of submitting the album to her record label when Tems sent her vocals. At that moment, she instructed the label to pause the process. She also noted that she worked on the debut album for three years.

During her appearance on MTV Live, Tyla referred to Tems as the “Queen” of African music.

She said,

“I was about to submit the album then Tems sent her verse over and I was like wait, Tems just sent a song, I mean she’s the Queen”.

Tyla released her eponymous debut album on Friday. The album contains a Tems feature titled, ‘No. 1.’